14th of February, 1999.

Debating and discussing important issues is always interesting.

There was this inter-college declamation contest held in one of the renowned colleges of our state. One of my favorite professor's in my college suggested participating in that contest. I was his favorite student in the class. (at least I thought so) so, I thought maybe that’s why he was insisting me to participate. He also did talk a lot positively about my talking skills and brought up few qualities of mine which indicated that I am good. So be it, I got flattered and convinced by his talk's and entered my name in the contest.

The gate/parameter for entering into competition was that it had to be a team of two people.  Contestants were to be judged under two categories, individual performance and performance as a team. Therefore, I with one more girl (my team mate now) were informed to prepare ourselves. Also, later we were informed about the date of the competition. The date of the competition was: 14th Feb. huurayy!!!

Even better: Venue of competition :D 

DAV college for boys la la la..

I had never celebrated 14th Feb ever in my life till then. Seriously!

The only thought which made me nervous about the competition was the fact that, we were competing with boys-While in the Boys College-That too, when they were actually the hosts as well.

Anyhow, after a few days of preparation, the contest day arrived. I picked one my sister’s pretty dress. Me and my partner girl along with our professor met the principal before leaving for the competition. Occurred to me that 'The Principal' loaded our shoulders with the dreams and expectations of her entire life L and to top that; my dear professor reciprocated with promise of fulfilling that which to me was lil’ show off and overconfident.  I guess he must have done it for his personal impression, Pheww!! 

Now, normally on any other routine day, I always thought myself to be a strong gal and believed men to be worthless. Also because thinking men/boys worthless made me feel superior to men which otherwise, our society would never let us even dream about J _______There was a day, when all my courage and strength was faltering, my momentum was unsteady. I was doubting my own potential.

 Because let’s face it, boys are boys people.  

They are loud, they are wild; they beat and hit furniture and stuff while debating. Unfortunately our society tend’s to love and accept these traits in men with open arms. All because, our societal chief's lead and consider such actions real ‘macho’ 'energetic' and and sign of winners

We don’t care whether these actions are civilized or not; sophisticated or not. 
As long as it is a men’s show, we are a super fine country.

With these above mentioned sorts of fears and complexes inside me, we reached the venue. And OMG!!

Starting right at the entrance, there was a mob of boys. At a glance, that entire jam packed area, gave me an impression that the population of the college was much more than the actual area/space available inside the college for those students.
Clearly by looking at the crowd and the way they were scattered outside the college, one could say that College administration was unable to provide best of the facilities and space to the students.
Poor crowd!!

Once we entered the college premises and walked this long path, more crowd of students at left and right starred right in the center where we three were walking as cordially as we could. We girls were extra cautious as to not even by accident see anybody, nobody at all.

Inside my body while walking the entire path leading towards the hall, my heart was racing, mouth completely dried up and ears all alert to make sure that I don’t miss any side remarks or giggles. But to my surprise, there was none. It was unexpectedly the most disciplined crowd of guys I had seen till then in my life.

 I kind of appreciated it. Good Job you DAV boys J

We reached the hall and there was this new huge section of crowd which very clearly by looking at their faces we could tell that they were as much aliens as us.

Out there in crowd, I saw a tall, fair handsome guy who looked like a real confident tiger dude and truly a winner already :/

Soon I established that he was a DAV product. I was like, “oh it’s so evident that they already have plotted and set him up for an award for their own college” It’s like a ritual.

Well! Moving on....
The competition started and if am recalling correctly there were 22 colleges and each had a team of two students representing their respective colleges.

In 40 minutes or so our college name was called and my partner girl went first. She spoke her piece. So did I later. 
'Now, looking at the judge’s panel, I did notice that few of them would applaud for some students and few not at all for anyone. 
Then there was name called of that dude I referred to earlier and the entire population sitting in the hall went applauding like anything for their own candidate.  huh!

And BTW, he did all that was considered macho stuff while he was on the stage- speaking. I so wanted to bang his head on the dais.  

After all the colleges were done speaking.The panel invited for judging and deciding,  in not more than 10 minutes gathered up on the stage to announce the results. and as we all know, the result part brings butterflies along.

I prayed to God and during that quick praying session, I managed to make a deal with God, 
I said, “I will settle for 3rd, m good” 

 3rd prize went to some Blah Girl of  a Blah Blah College. and I said to my professor, now the chances are less, to which he replied “ no no wait Smriti”        I was like “he must be nuts”

2nd prize went to the dude guy of their own college. And I looked at partner, see I told ya!! 
And after the last two positions were gone, I so hoped that we should have left in the middle of the show. Our college doesn't stand a chance now. Because first is soooo not possible. Next thing I heard was.......

1st prize went to Smriti Abrol from Women’s college city Phagwara!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was like “well ya I knew it was going to be me” no biggie :)

I calmly went, accepted my award and came back to my seat. But the next thing that happened was unexpected. 

The award for best team performance also went to us. Woohoooo!!!
And we got that big prize too which was handed over to College  Admin, to be decorated in Principal’s room.  Not fair though.
Whatever!!

That day, I felt I touched the sky. While coming out of the hall, and college premises, I looked straight in the eyes of each and every guy out there :D

Oh ya!!!    I beat you darlingzz!      That too on a valentine's day!       That too in your own college :D

They all just got beaten by a girl. :D

Then there were some media guys!!    Ahh! That’s right, Mediaa guys who clicked our pictures to be printed in newspaper next day.

Our professor took us to a food joint to celebrate our victory.  At least, that was what he told me and as I understood.   Ssshhh!   (Hang in there guys for the professor’s part)

That was my first ever celebration on a valentine's day!!! And it was AWWsm!

I was so happy. I felt like a star.  I was excited to share news with my family. I thanked God for that wonderful achievement.

I actually DIDN'T wish for anything else that day.

 I just thanked God, and felt immensely proud and happy.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog