It was a typical women’s college in my city. And also it was a real famous one. When I first entered the college, right at the gate there was this old wicked looking creepy lady. Rudeness was all over her. It was a one fine Monday of the week in the year 1998. Getting to see that whining face first thing in the morning was a bummer.  Soon I came to know that her job was to make sure that every girl who enters college positively makes an entry in the register. I guess they wanted to track the tracks of girls.

Dress code for that college was only suits ( kurta salwar)

I located my wing which was newly built commerce department. I found my class, opened the door and this is what I saw:

Girls and all girls and OMG! Everyone was in white color.  I was like; God how absurd it appears.

All were wearing white suits (salwar kurta) with different wacko hairstyles. Some of them were pretty. Some of them appeared trying hard to be pretty. There were also few rich gals who also had the luxury of putting make up and wow sandals. 

Something which I kind of anticipated, since we know girls will be girls. Therefore, no looking at each other; there were no welcoming smiles, nothing- nada- zilch. It was more like “here’s another bitch”

First class started that was Mathssssssssssss L and kill me kill me kill me. There was this professor who looked like looser actor Sudesh Berry (Indian actor) hardly bothered to speak and if at all he did, it appeared that he was more interested in talking to girls- just like girls. Seriously, he was so lame.  But was it just meee who thought like that, because rest of the class looked pretty impressed.

The moment class was over and the professor left the class girls started giggling, and making fun of him.

I felt relieved that they are all normal. I soon figured out that almost entire college wore white and then I was informed that Monday’s is all white. As if it was snow white show or Rendezvous with Simi Garewal.

I had few concerns.
First of all I possessed no suits at all.
Second of all I had to ride a bicycle from home to college and vice verse which was awfully tiring for me.
 More than tiring it was so damn uncomfortable for me because of that stupid suit which is like so much meters of cloth wrapped on you and the dupatta handling was a real challenge. I felt like screaming. Why why why….

It’s a bloody women’s college for heaven sake. Why make girls wear all this. There is no one to see or stare or lure them. There is no one they need to impress or show their charm to. Then why still force women wear what they are not comfortable in.

What also seemed pathetic to me was; while girls/women were out commuting home to college and college to home; men/boys outside, still stare at women. Even though, they were not in tight jeans or shorts. 
Girls had to be so conscious in crowd in spite of being in those damn white suits.  At the age of 18 in first 2 days of my new college I learnt that dress has nothing to do with people’s mentality. 

I suddenly had this huge anger, suffocation, disliking piling up in me going to that college. Every day I observed girls, teachers around me. A situation of melancholy started to encircle me. Especially, The Principal. I had heard lots of stories, gossips about her. The gismos in my brain became so active that I couldn't help poking my brain and nose into everything I saw, everything that happened around me. 

First of all, college said the motive is to make women independent and achieve free will. Well excuse me; but forcing me to wear suits which do not make me comfortable at all, how is it free will and independence.

I found it kind of uncouthly the way girls behaved. If there was some kind of construction work being done in college and there was a supervisor or may be mere a contractor. Dude seriously, girls were like all the time around that area. As if he was the only guy on this planet or as if it was last day of their life; hence they wanted to fulfill one last wish to look at 'a' guy.

Next thing you knew was that some girl had an affair with that contractor during his contract in college and the affair ended with the construction contract. Can you imagine? 

I am sure it seemed normal to many but to me It was real sad. How about a little sense of inertia of life? Huh??

Not to forget the chaotic scene which I witnessed every day at the end of the college time. You see so much of crowd outside college which obviously does not belong to Women College.

And then I understood, Aha!! That is the sole reason why girls are so dressed up and full on. can't help. mother nature's creation.

Girls would talk about guys all the time.  They don’t spare any one. Not even the guys who cooked food and managed the cafeteria.

There were also few girls who were nice and innocent and belong to middle class family like myself. I use to spend so much of my energy and time in motivating them, talking to them, try and make them realize how important they are. Their existence here was not only to get a minimum degree just for the sake of it or only to get married. They should not depending upon others. They are not only to get picked up from and dropped to college by men in their families. What self reliance means. What independence means. And they loved me for these talks.

But that was it. They just loved me and appreciated but learned nothing more.

It was sad to see women think like that. Actually it was sad to see that they were not thinking at all L

While life in that college was getting little routine and monotonous, God added some spice and action to it.

A month later I got to see someone after 2 years. Do you know who that was?

It was my school time ditchy friend ‘G’eeeee. She met me and discussed that she wanted to study further for her graduation but her parent’s didn't want her to study after high school at all. So asked me to talk to her parents and try to convince them and request them and educate them about benefits of graduation.
I was like WHAAAAT??????

Since you guys know that I have been gifted with a big kind heart and yes also because I still considered her my friend, I did it for her. Her parents agreed and all was hunky dory.

But,  nooooooooo.

Not that I deserve a thank you or a word of appreciation. Instead she had different plans – just read ahead

So, she was in my class. I was glad that I know at least one girl that too my friend J But she proved me so wrong- again.

It was a new day, when she came to class; and I established that she already knew a lot of girls from my class. Actually they were all in same high school previously and very good pals too. Huh whatever!

I was disappointed but life moves on people.

Days passed by, and I focused on my subjects. Few teachers there were great. Soon college had mid- term exams or something like that and I scored well.

I scored well for me also meant definitely better than 'G’ hehe 

Oh boy! That was the first time I saw hatred in her eyes for me. She was of course pretty as we know and with an option of wearing colorful clothes, funky range of hair clips and hairstyles, perfumes and jewellery made her all the way one of the most appealing girls in the college. Many teachers were impressed with her as she did give them gifts too. She was always best at giving greeting cards and gifts, always. And Now I get it J mmmm

Major reason I can’t ever forget her is because she kind of made some personal remarks at me. And her remarks were mostly on my physical looks and dressing sense. Which was true actually as I disliked wearing those kind of dress/suits and also didn't had any of my own, so I use to sneak into one of my sisters dress every day which obviously made me look funny because one I was skinny and two they were twice my size J

Action situation:
One day our management teacher gave us topic for debate and wanted class to get divided in two. favor and against. G somehow made herself leader of one group or shall I say assumed herself leader of one group and chose to favor  Not only that she also instructed girls to join her. Majority of class went to her side assuming that she will win because of her pretty looks I guess J 

Favoring that topic according to the nature of the topic was actually right thing to do but only because she chose to favor and because I no longer wanted her to control me, I moved out and wanted to debate against it. Only one girl from entire class wanted to speak against that topic. This daring woman btw had joined college in the middle of the year; I figured out that she was my junior in our Junior School. Let’s call her Raj.

Well, not that it’s a movie or something, but actually both of us speaking against the topic won! Tarahhhh!!!

The best thing was to see Geee’s face. I swear she wanted to tear me apart. And adding fuel to fire, the teacher started praising us.

She actually didn't say hello to me in class for many days. Soon I observed she started being friendly with Raj. Soon Raj was in their group. With all this happening, I discovered that she never truly liked me as a friend, like never. And she definitely hated me now because I no longer was the same girl.  You readers might remember, I had mentioned earlier in previous posts that because I wasn't good in studies and because I didn't match her frequency I thought that was the reason she no longer wanted to be with me back then in that stupid school. But what was happening in college was unbelievable. She always saw me as a competitor. 

I had girls coming to me and telling me what she talked about me. She used to make fun of me. She actually made strategies to hurt me. When I say hurt me, I literally mean hurt me; like physically. Can you believe that? 

And with these feelings and thoughts, the remaining strings of friendship inside me were totally over. And this time for ever.

Interestingly guys, few months back I received call. It was from G from another country. We were talking almost I guess after 10-11 yrs. And this is all she had to talk to me. merely these 2 things:

11.       Do you have a car?
22.       Please do not share my contact information with anybody
       : /

Her conversation left me astounded for a moment. Oh for Christ sake lady, you have two kids.

Get a life. Will ya? How can one live such a precarious life?

But then it was Gee, how could she miss a chance of picking on me. Not even after 10 years.

That’s when  during my college days, I started missing my high school friend Poonam. I started  realizing and valuing her friendship.

But she was gone L

I did learn my lesson of true and rare friendship. I also understood what we all were familiar with
 “a friend in need is a friend indeed”

That was the time I was most attached to my family. At the age of 18, and holding a regret of not being nice to one person who gave me most out of her friendship. I wrote so many letters to my Dear friend but till date there is no response.

And here goes my wish….

I wish I had not hurt her, wish had understood her true friendship. If only there was a time machine, I could go back in time and amend and repair few things.

:( :( 


Hey you guys don’t get your brains in action. We were just friends and a quite normal one’s :D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog